February 19, 2006

The film Hostel

Yesterday I watched Hostel, a film presented by my favourite film maker Quentin Tarrantino. I expected something as good as Sin City, Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction, but Hostel really disappointed me.

If you don't know what Hostel is: it is about three young men (two of them Americans) who come to Slovakia, they get to know some girls there, then they are caught by some deviant people who torture them in an abandoned factory - only one of them survives. The whole film has a bit of horror atmosphere.

The film was created in the Czech Republic (where I live), exactly in Český Krumlov and Prague. For example the torture scenes come from Bohnice, a well-know madhouse in Prague (it is spectacular, I admit). The film's story occurs in Slovakia - it is our border country and further we were one country (Czechoslovakia), so we have much in common.

In my opinion, the biggest problem of the film is that it shows Slovakia and Europe in a way that is very far from reality. Corrupted policemen, groups of gipsys that steal everything and, especially, the cars - only old black Tatras and Volhas for the rich, and old Škodas and Žiguls for the poor, that's truly unreal. This is a picture of Romania or a country in Africa, not Slovakia. Slovakia is a normal country with a normal police, human rights, tourism, BMWs, Fiat and other normal car brands.

I am not nationalist and I think other people see us in a way that we present ourselves, so this is the way the Americans see us. I don't mind, I think nothing bad is in it, but - from a Tarrantino's film, I would expect deeper thoughts, less superficial view and much better description of the reality.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Prague Hotels said...

I saw this movie some time ago and actually I didn't know that it was created in Prague. But when I saw it, I recognized Prague, because I was there once and can't forget such a great city.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Kerri Martin said...

I just watched the film Hostel. I live in Sydney Australia and was a tourist in Prague in 2001. I know in the film they said they were in Slovakia but I recognised Cesky straight away. It's a beautiful place and brought back some great memories of my trip in the Czech Republic. I stayed in hostels in Prague and Cesky Krumlov, I survived though. ;) kerrianne_martin@yahoo.com.au

12:26 AM  
Blogger Honza said...

The film Hostel definitely made me remember all my fascinating moments which I had during my trip to Prague, cause is without a doubt my favorite city in Europe (that I have visited). It is simply amazing. There is so much to see and do here, and the atmosphere is incredible that just being in the city and walking through its streets is worth the trip alone.

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a fucking bastard .......Romania isn`t like slovakia and cehia / we have safety when we gone on the street,this movie doesen`t reflect the reality , on our country gipsies don`t steal anything :))) they steal from your fucking '"rich" countries , app. this movie was filmed in romania in Brasov :))) like the movie Borat ......and they not admit , they are ashamed by romania

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home